Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Shades of Red in the Rosaceae

I went outside yesterday afternoon to capture that surprising shade of translucent lavender the raspberry canes show in winter, but I didn't quite get it. I don't know if the dull overcast light quenched it, or if the deer have rubbed the waxy bloom off the thorny stems. I did find handsome dark red canes, and some leaf buds giving their first hints of expansion.

The multiflora rose was also displaying a fine shade of red for those interested in a close look.

2 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Pink, rosy, red ... all those colors are the first signs of spring here, too. Even on the chests of the robins, come to think of it.

I've seen some hints, but only in the most subtle ways here. It'll happen, but not quite yet.

I feel the anticipation - it's right around the corner. Don't you?

Rebecca Clayton said...

Anticipation--for sure!