Thursday, April 26, 2007

Red Socks In "Broad Spiral Rib"

Red sock, cuff

I finally settled on a pattern stitch for my latest pair of socks. I tried at least a dozen textures before selecting "Broad Spiral Rib" from Barbara G. Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns. Here I've rewritten the directions for "in-the-round" knitting. (They are much simpler this way.)

Six stitch repeat:
Row 1: *Purl 2, Knit 4.*
Row 2: *Purl 2, Right Twist, Right Twist.*
Row 3: *Purl 2, Knit 4.*
Row 4: *Purl 2, Knit 1, Right Twist, Knit 1.*

Barbara Walker's Right Twist: Knit 2 together, leaving stitches on left-hand needle; insert right-hand needle from the front between the two stitches just knitted together, knit the first stitch again. Slip both stitches from the needle together.

Brown Sheep Farm Label

The yarn is an odd skein I bought on sale 15 or 20 years ago, either in Annapolis or College Park, MD. You can see that Brown Sheep Farms' marketing was less slick years ago than now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly I recently knit a pair of socks with a color called Blue Blood Red but as Wildfoote Deluxe. With that color name I wonder if they are related. Nettie