Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Websites and Other Projects

Things have been a bit hectic here on Droop Mountain, but it's been a good kind of busy--that is, the kind that generates income. I've added some more part-time teaching jobs to my collection. The only down side has been that each job-let requires as much paperwork as a new full-time job, with ordering grad school transcripts, proof of citizenship, proof of valid public school teaching license, pre-service training, etc. Getting all that done has amounted to yet another job. However, I believe the end of this unpaid, unfun job is in sight.

Meanwhile, over At Home On Spice Ridge I've felt confident enough about my Drupal skills to take the Web 2.0 version live. Cron is still not acting right, and I have lots more work to do, but I believe I'll be able to back up the database and rebuild the site in case of disaster.

The same goes for Pocahontas County History. Both the historical society's archives and the home page are functional, if not yet full of juicy data. Week before last, an actual history researcher looking for information on Rev. William T. Price used the database to request access to his papers. I was amazed to find that all the Archon bells and whistles worked to send me (the database administrator) an e-mail. The researcher has an appointment to visit the museum and meet with the appropriate Rev. Price expert. Data will be shared. Arcane knowledge will reach the person who wants it. I feel so fulfilled! (Really. That might sound a little sarcastic, but it's not. I get excited over the darndest things.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alas, there is no such thing as a part time teaching job! Good luck on all of your ventures and thanks for sharing more of the delightful postcard collection with us recently.