Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Hello Central, Give Me Santa Claus

1914 Christmas Card--Telephone Santa

This postcard was addressed to my great grandfather, J. Williamson, postmarked 1914, and signed "Nellie." Santa Claus looks a little sinister here, but I believe this is for humorous effect--sardonic Santa posed with the latest technical novelty. Telephones also fascinated song writers in those days. Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite sad sentimental songs, learned from an old Carter Family recording. Many suburban folkies think it absurd and funny, but there's such a thing as being too sophisticated for your own good. Sara Carter's matter-of-fact rendition always makes me tear up. Poor little lonesome Dollie!

No Telephone In Heaven

 
"Now I can wait on baby," the smiling merchant said,
As stooped and softly toyed with her golden curly head
"I want to call up mamma,"  came the answer full and free.
"Will you telephone and ask her when she's coming back to me?"

Chorus:

   "My child," the merchant murmured, as he stroked the anxious brow,
   "No telephone connection where your mother lives at now."
   "No telephone in heaven?" and a tear sprang in her eye.
   "I thought God had everything with him up in the sky."

"Tell her that I get so lonesome that I don't know what to do,
And papa cries so much I guess he must be lonesome too.
Tell her to come to baby, 'cause at night I get so 'fraid
With no one there to kiss me when the lights begin to fade."

(Chorus)

"All through the day I want her since my dollie's got so tore
With the awful punching brother give her with his little sword.
There ain't no one to fix her since mamma's gone away,
And poor little lonesome dollie's getting thinner every day."

(Chorus)

1 comment:

Angelena said...

Merry Christmas Rebecca and Larry!!!

rebecca- the wireless internet is up and running. This is so much cooler than the dozer undercarriage!! LOL