Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Snipe Fly

Rhagionid fly

This is a rhagionid, or snipe fly. I was aprehensive about creeping close to it, because it looks a bit like a tabanid, but snipe flies in these parts are slow-moving and don't bite. I'm practicing with the macro lens--it's certainly different than my film camera's macro.


Larry said...

I'm not familiar with snipe flies, but now that I've seen your photo I'll keep an eye out for them!

I think you will enjoy taking more macro photos, judging by your first efforts. What sort of camera are you using?

Rebecca Clayton said...

It's a Nikon D50, a digital SLR. They were very reasonably priced last summer (less than some of the point and shoot cameras). I notice all the models I looked at last year are discontinued, and the current crop has lots more megapixels per image (and lots more dollars per camera, too).

Still, 6 megapixels is good enough for government work, and Nikon makes all its lenses compatable with all its camera bodies. This year's technology purchase is the macro lens.

My film camera is an old Olympus, and the only lens I owned was a macro lens. It worked fine for most purposes, but when I bought it, I was an entomology grad student, and insect photography was what I did.