Monday, March 05, 2007

Silkscreening--Tutorial and Inspiration

You find fiber arts tutorials in the oddest places. This excellent tutorial, "How to Silkscreen Posters and Shirts" comes from No Media Kings, aka Jim Munroe, "a novelist who left HarperCollins to showcase and propagate indie press alternatives to Rupert Murdoch-style consolidation." He connects silkscreening to these topics thus:

Silkscreening is such a great happy medium--nestled comfortably half-way between hand-drawn and mass production, more colourful than photocopying and with an aesthetic all its own. Artist Shannon Gerard broke out her silkscreening gear to make cool shirts and posters for her upcoming comic launch, and despite being crazy busy has shared her skills in this funny and detailed tutorial

The comments section is also instructive--don't skip them. Silkscreening has been "on my list" of must-try activities for years. I hope this will push me into action this year.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I'm with you on silk screening! (even blogged about it, and got a note from Jim about it). I'm still leery of the photo-emulsion steps, but I finally bit the bullet to try the resist (drawing fluid, filler) method and should hopefully pull my first hand-made screen today.

It's fun.

Try it, you'll like it.