Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I Heart Beartown

Beartown State Park is an interesting rock formation on Droop Mountain, almost on the Pocahontas-Greenbrier county line. In the 1970's the parks department built a boardwalk through it. On a day like today, I might get some spectacular pictures, but odds are good I'd slip on the ice. I can do that here at home on the porch more conveniently, so I thought I'd post these photos from last October.

I Love Beartown tree Beartown Boardwalk Beartown rock formation--looking up at ferns Mysterious rock weathering at Beartown Tight squeeze at Beartown

2 comments:

Dave said...

Looks like the same Pocono Sandstone responsible for the Bear Heaven campground near Elkins and the Bear Rocks at Dolly Sods. I don't know how the bears feel, but personally, I can't get enough of rock formations like these!

Reya Mellicker said...

Will you post a poem tomorrow? I hope so!

Thanks for saying hello. You and your magical life so close to DC and yet so far away - thank you!