Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Making Something Useful With Plastic bags

I was quite excited to find this tutorial: Fusing Plastic Bags with the Etsy Labs. I reuse my plastic carry bags, but they pile up faster than I use them, and none of the previous "crafts" I've tried on them has been fruitful. Knitting and crocheting with plastic bag strips works, after a fashion, but the result has no earthly use I could ever find. In contrast, this Etsy store tutorial includes some examples of products offered by Etsy sellers, including tote bags ans small purses. It appears that the fused plastic bags produce a "fabric" that can be cut and sewn and used as waterproof "fabric."

Do you have one zillion plastic drugstore and grocery bags under your sink, or perhaps smushed into a drawer? Ever wanted a cheap and easy use for them? One that leaves you with an intriguing and useful homemade craft supply? Do you have an iron? Why don't you fuse them together?

What you'll need:
Plastic bags (thin, flimsy ones work best)
Parchment paper, freezer paper or plain old copier paper
Iron (and your favorite ironing surface)
Scissors

I'll be trying this as soon as I can find a little time!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Oh neat.

A unique home-made Christmas gift.

But I'll probably just keep taking mine back to the recycle station at Kroger.