Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Day

Here's an hour-long Martin Luther King Day program: Democracy Now, January 18, 2010.

Today is the federal holiday that honors Dr. Martin Luther King....While Dr. King is primarily remembered as a civil rights leader, he also championed the cause of the poor and organized the Poor People's Campaign to address issues of economic justice. Dr. King was also a fierce critic of US foreign policy and the Vietnam War. We play his "Beyond Vietnam" speech, which he delivered at New York's Riverside Church on April 4, 1967, as well as his last speech, "I Have Been to the Mountain Top." that he gave on April 3, 1968, the night before he was assassinated.

I'm not sure if I ever heard the "Beyond Vietnam" speech, and it's been a long time since I heard the famous "I have Been to the Mountain Top" except in sound bites. I was glad to be reminded of this.

1 comment:

アダルトSEO said...

For Martin Luther King, I remember only about his speech-- I have a dream.

A great person, Martin Luther King Day, wish everybody lucky!