To my great surprise, I've got KDE 4.6 Desktop Effects working again. My recent desktop environment problems had led me to reinstall Debian testing and upgrade to unstable (sid). The newly-installed KDE Desktop Effects were working properly until I copied all my /home/rebecca files onto the new installation and restarted. I tried to adjust them using the GUI panel:
System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced
No luck. I couldn't revert to a clean install. I was just going to live with it because I didn't care about the missing desktop effects at all, but I really hate it when I don't know why something does or doesn't work, so I have looked sporadically for answers, and this morning, I found this: [SOLVED] KWin effects not working (ATI, catalyst, KDE):
I have had something like this happen a few times, too. Removing ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc always seems to fix it.
I renamed the
kwinrc file, moved it to an out-of-the-way directory, and rebooted. A new and much shorter
kwinrc file was generated, and I haven't found any other KDE attributes changed. Here's the difference in file size between the new
kwinrc file and the old, renamed file:
rebecca@hecate:~/.kde/share/config$ wc -l kwinrc 23 kwinrc rebecca@hecate:~/.kde/share/config$ wc -l /home/rebecca/xxx 166 /home/rebecca/xxx
I haven't yet figured out what those 143 lines in the old file did, but the problem must be in there somewhere. Something to occupy my idle hours, I suppose.