Thursday, March 04, 2010

Openoffice Crashes in Kubuntu Thanks to openoffice-kde

Since I involuntarily switched from Debian to Kubuntu a month ago, I've run into some new and unfamiliar problems with Openoffice.org. (I teach courses in Microsoft Office, and some of the organizations I work with are Windows shops, and Open Office meshes better with that stuff than anything else I've tried.)

Basically, every time I used Open Office under Kubuntu 9.10, it would hang or crash. I couldn't identify what procedure precipitated the crash, so it was hard to find solutions via search engines. Eventually, I found this, (while looking for something else).

Title: OpenOffice 3.1.1 crash from the Kubuntu Forums
Title: Re: OpenOffice 3.1.1 crash
Post by: CH~ on November 07, 2009, 09:24:19 am
I had diffrent problem with it. You can see it here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107536.0

Resolution:

Remove openoffice.org-kde and install openoffice.org-gtk. ::)

So, that's precisely what I did. I uninstalled the package openoffice.org-kde and I installed openoffice.org-gtk and it has worked just fine for several days now. I'm posting this in the hopes that the search engines will find the terms "openoffice" "kubuntu" "kde" and "crash" together in one place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post, really, google did found this post on "kubuntu open office crashes". I had the same problem, as I couldn't find a solution, I reinstalled Kubuntu and didn't update any packages as everything initially worked.