Monday, October 12, 2009

Purple Peppers

Our garden had mixed success this year, but one crop I was very pleased with was the Black Hungarian Peppers I ordered from Seed Savers Exchange. I've tried several times to start peppers from seed, but this is the first year I had anything to harvest. The peppers start out a dark, eggplant shade, but turn red when they're ripe.

They're good-flavored mildly hot peppers, but the thing I liked best about them was the way the plants looked as they were growing. The seedlings are nearly black (leaves and all; sorry I didn't think to take a picture last spring!), and the even the blossoms have that purple pigment.

Check out those black anthers!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Gorgeous things. Do they taste good?

We have had a bumper crop of tobasco peppers this year. Tiny things but HOT.

Rebecca Clayton said...

They are good--a little bit hot, and with a different flavor than any other pepper I've tried so far. I haven't tried cooking with them yet, so I'm not sure what they'll be good for.

I love the fierce little peppers, but our cool summers aren't very good for them.