Sunday, December 11, 2005

Obsessive Quilting Behavior

I've been trying in vain to write a non-quilt-related post. I can't seem to write and make quilts at the same time. I'm hoping that if I just indulge my obsessive interest in this project, I will be able to move on.

The object of my obsession is meant to be a set of curtains for the floor-to-ceiling windows at the east end of my house. Now that it's winter again, the cold air coming off the windows really chills the living room. There's a spectacular temperature gradient from the wood stove at one end of the house to the sofa at the other end. It would be nice to have curtains to close, at least at night, to hold in a little heat.

I've taken my laundry baskets full of "Fabric Scraps Unsuitable for Quilts," and I've been sewing them in random patterns to 11-inch muslin squares. Most of the scraps are rayons and polyesters. The colors are vivid, the prints are huge, and the textures are varied. Crinkle rayon, satin, jacquard, and pseudo-suede are fun to juxtapose with my huge collection of rayon challis prints. It's a great deal of fun. More images will be posted in the next few days. Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: